JellyPages.com

Friday, June 13, 2014

Different types of Goth styles


So we meet again, little snarklings.



As promised, this week, I’ll be diving into the different types of Gothic fashions and quirks.



First off, I’ll be showing you a picture of me in all my Gothic finery glory. Go to PetiteGothGirl’s Facebook page (up now!!!)



You may notice that I don’t fit the stereotype of being a “extreme Goth”. There are a few reasons for this. Reason # 1 is because of my mama. Now don’t get me wrong, I love her to death (pardon the pun) but she just doesn’t see me as being a Goth. So to humor her, I wear more conservative clothes that I can swap out for different styles if I please (which is rarely, I should add). We both agree on most styles, however there are some things that we butt heads on, like the all too cute Gothic Lolita outfits. To sum it up, mama informs me that I would look like a little child doll. Not something that I ever want to be, with my size. Reason # 2 as of to why I’m not an extreme Goth is because it is hard to find clothes in my size. Is am four foot eight inches tall, weigh about 110, and I also have a bit of baby fat left over from middle school. And last but not least: reason # 3. I go to school full time and I don’t want to be viewed as being “the creepy living dead girl”. I’m all about first impressions, so I want to look approachable, but at the same time, express myself through my clothes.



All right now y’all, enough about me- on with the show!



There are many different types of Goths out there in the big bad universe, including Vampire Goths, Cyber Goths and Perky Goths. I will be going over a few of my favorite Goths and even some Goth types who you may have never even heard of!



Baby Goth~ These are kids, generally in middle school, but also found in kindergarten and elementary school, who are either exploring fashion or are copycatting an older sibling or someone on TV. They are generally extremely cute, especially when they are trying to act depressed and melancholy.



Rivethead Goth~ These are the original Goths, steering straight from the 1980s. They have big hair, fishnets, leather jackets and piercings. They also listen to (popular then) punk music.



Vampire Goth~ not to be confused with Victorian Goths! These are Goths who stay out of the sun at all costs, are attracted to old fashioned styled articles of clothing, and sometimes look like they haven’t slept. They normally have pale skin and enjoy reading vampire novels (Anne Rice is a big hit in the Vampire Goth world). They also drink red wine, and some of them go as far as to drink blood. They are very polite in manner and speech, much like Victorian Vampires.



Perky Goth~ These are Goths who are hyper and cheerful. Instead of being negative, like most human beings would assume that Goths are like in attitude, they are pretty much half-full kind of people. They dress like other Goth folks, only it’s their energy that throws people off. (Think Abby from NCIS.)



Victorian Goth~ Not to be confused with Vampire Goths. These folks are Goths who live in the late 1800- they are often times courteous and polite, read Edger Allen Poe and Bram Stoker, and wear lace, corsets and velvets. Like their Victorian role models, these kind of Goths wish to show that they have dignity (and in some cases, wealth). Clothes must be fashionable, historically accurate (corsets were meant to be worn underneath the dress to help create the desired hourglass figure shape). Activities that are looked highly upon are attending the theatre, masquerades, tea parties and poetry readings. Classical and opera are the main choice of music for Victorian Goths.



Romantic Goth~ Unlike most Goth folk who concentrate on music and fashion, Romantic Goth focus more on the dark, mysterious and sensual world of love, made popular by gothic novels and movies. They are generally emotional and dreamy, looking for beauty in cemeteries, skulls and other things that most people would avoid. They dress in loose, flowy clothes, laces and velvet and old fashioned clothes, like the Victorian and Vampire Goths.



Cyber Goth~ Technology and futurism fascinate these Gothic folks. They wear bright colors and listen to upbeat dance music that is normally found in clubs. (One way to tell if they’re Goth is by their hair). These folks are also technological advanced, so if your laptop crashes, then a Cyber Goth is generally the best person to call.



Medieval Goth~ These folks dress as though they are attending a renaissance faire. They are pretty good with weaponry like crossbows and swords. They are fascinated by old crumbling castles and medieval history and enjoy being at museums and historical locations. Wearing Tudor and Celtic styled elements is also considered to be in the Medieval Goth category, too.



Emo Goth~ Most Goth folks consider Emo Goths to be the “wannabes” of the Gothic scene. They are often identified by their black nail polish, black eyeliner, adoration of skulls and piercings, converses sneakers and rare touches of color. These folks are the most stereotyped of the Goth world. (Stereotypes were covered in blog entry # 1).



Corp Goth~ When the Goth folks went job hunting, they needed to look smart, but also wanted to retain their personal style. So then Corporate Goth was born. The love pinstripe corsets, vintage and retro styled suits, velvet, hats and silver jewelry in the shape of bats, spiders and other Gothic elements.



Geek Goth~ Please do not behead me for saying this, but all Goth are Geeks. To prove a point, spending at least two hours getting ready every day, reading old literature that people don’t know exists and collecting music. That doesn’t sound geeky to you? Trust me, you can find some traits of Geeks in Goth folks, but Geek Goths are the Geekiest of the bunch. These folks are the people who are into Dungeons and Dragons, video games and sci-fi fantasy and horror. They also have a wide knowledge of symbolism and art that is superior to other Goths; they are often times most intelligent, creative and open minded Goths one will ever meet.



Rockabilly Goth~ These folks are one of a kind with their unique tastes in fashion and music. The style comes from American rock and roll and an 1980 punk band. Rockabilly Goth folks wear colorful tattoos, bright red accessories, and of course, polka dots. Lots and lots of polka dots.



Cabaret Goth~ These folks look like they’ve been spirited from Moulin Rouge and for good reasons, too! The ladies wear corsets, lace and feathers and garters. The gentlemen look like a cross between Dracula and August Rosenbluth from Water for Elephants. These folks are classy and sexy, a skill that most Goths mastered before anything else.



Steampunk Goth~ What do you get when you mash Victorian Goth and Rivethead Goth? Why, Steampunk Goth, of course. Steampunk is the merging of sci-fi with vintage, resulting in odd looking jewelry made from wood, brass and wheels, steam powered machines, and complex clocks. Steampunk Goths are highly creative, merging elements such as Victorian clock, keys and cogs. Like Victorian Goths, they enjoy Edger Allen Poe, attending the theatre, masquerades tea parties and poetry readings.



Faerie Goth~ Like Vampire Goths, Faerie Goths are people who are drawn to fanasty and folklore. They often were whimsical outfits that contain of wings, long, soft flowy dresses, and lock frock coats. They can also look like Medieval Goths, only they look more magical then like normal people. (But then again, who is normal?) These folks can be found in places where magic is told to happen, like forests, meadows and graveyards.



Tribal Goth~ When bellydancing became popular in the USA, many Goth folks took it up and made a new style of Goth- Tribal Goth. With that, came hip scarves and jingle-jangle jewelry. The Tribal Goths blend bellydance clothes and accessories with Goth style. These folks wear bone jewelry, dreadlocks, beads, natural fabrics, and braids.



Until we meet again. In next week’s post, I shall be going over the most important staples in a Gothic wardrobe (completed with pictures of my own Gothic wardrobe).



Please feel free to follow the links that I have provided (see below) for more information on this week’s topic or email me at viktoryarozetassi@hotmail.com



And please do not hesitate to inform me of any errors that I make in my posts. I am always more than happy to accept feedback and criticism.



LINKS



Baby Goth





Rivethead Goth





Vampire Goth





Perky Goth





Victorian Goth





Romantic Goth





Cyber Goth





Medieval Goth





Emo Goth





Corp Goth





Geek Goth





Rockabilly Goth





Cabaret Goth





Steampunk Goth





Faerie Goth





Tribal Goth











MORE ON TYPES OF GOTHS:














2 comments:

  1. Did you know that that you can make dollars by locking special pages of your blog / website?
    All you need to do is to join AdWorkMedia and embed their content locking tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I empathize. I'm 4'11" and 92 lbs. and I have a hard time finding Gothic clothing online that would fit me. Most of it, from my research, is made for people several sizes larger than me. Such are the trials of being petite.

    I'm also a full-time student, but I still go full-on Goth. But then, for me, it took me a long time to figure out who I was. I was Goth for years and wasn't consciously aware of it. Now I wear it (literally) like a badge of honor. No one bothers me. I love the liberal attitude of college life!

    ReplyDelete