JellyPages.com

Friday, June 13, 2014

Gothic books


So we meet again, little snarklings.



As promised, this week, I’ll be diving into Gothic books. I shall list my favorite books first because I have a wide taste of Gothic culture under my belt. In a few weeks, I shall go into other Goth folk’s favorite films.



Vampire Kisses series by Ellen Schreiber



The most exciting things to happen in Dudsville in my lifetime, in chronological order:

The 3:10 train jumped its tracks, spilling boxes of Tootsie Rolls, which we devoured.

A senior flushed a cherry bomb down the toilet, exploding the sewage line, closing school for a week.

On my sixteenth birthday a family rumored to be vampires moved into the haunted Mansion on top of Benson Hill.”



(Excerpt from Vampire Kisses, the first book in the Vampire Kisses series by Ellen Schreiber)



Don’t you ever wish that a family of vampires moved into your neighborhood? Well that’s what happens to Raven, the Gothic heroine of the series. She and her vampire boyfriend, Alexander, must defend boring little Dudsville from blood thirsty vampires, shut down an upcoming vampire club that’s opening in the middle of town, and oh yeah- did I forget to mention that Alexander has vampire enemies who are out to kills him and Raven?



Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake



“Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.”






I only have six words to say about this book. I couldn’t put this book down. Seriously, it was that good. It was such a good read- I can’t wait for the next book in the Anna series to come out! Or better yet, a movie version!!!



Dracula by Bram Stoker



"Denn die Toten reiten schnell."

“For the dead travel fast”



[Opening line in Dracula]



If you had watched countless movies about Count Dracula and vampires, then you may want to bite the source- Bram Stroker’s Dracula. This book is filled with suspense, death and love. (It’s been a while since I had read this book, I’ll admit it.)  This book is written through journal enterys and new paper clippings carefully crafted to form the well known story of an undead man who seeks redemption. I only have one thing to say:



Now that’s how it’s done Twilight.



Frankenstein by Mary Shelley



This is another book that I’m intending on catching up on- it’s been about ten years since I last read this book. I recall thinking that Frankenstein monster was nothing but a giant teddy bear who just wanted to be accepted and loved. When he didn’t get what he wanted, he threw a huge child-like tantrum. Neither alive nor dead, this is a sure book for my little snarklings to pick up.



Complete Stories and Poems by Edger Allen Poe



This alcoholic author’s writings are well known throughout the Goth world. In fact, it is almost a sterotype for Goth folks to read this collection of poems and short stories. I myself had never read this book (I know- big shocker, right?) The terrifying monster isn’t found in a physical being- it’s found within oneself.



Until we meet again. In next week’s post, I shall be going over Gothic movies.



Please feel free to follow the links that I have provided for more information on this week’s topic or email me at viktoryarozetassi@hotmail.com



And please do not hesitate to inform me of any errors that I make in my posts. I am always more than happy to accept feedback and criticism.



NO COPTRIGHT INFRIGEMENT WAS MEANT IN THE MAKING OF THIS BLOG.

  
Books I'm reading:

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruce

Dracula in Love by Karen Essex

Unbroken by Paula Morris

The Sheen in the Silk by Anne Perry

Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender


Gothic books



No comments:

Post a Comment